As long as I can remember, I’ve kept a journal. Some I’ve bought and some I’ve made. There’s so many different uses for them. I have four, one for my day job, one for my crafting hobby, one for Bible art and writing and the last one is my Art Journal.
I know writing down to-do lists isn’t for everyone, however for me, that’s mainly what I use a journal for but also I like to write down ideas I have. There’s so many ways you can use a journal that would work for you.
I do recommend keeping separate journals, for example, one for work or home and the other for Bible study. Here’s the ones I use or used:
- Work journal. I write my daily job tasks and projects. I check off each one as I get it done. Some tasks don’t necessarily get done that day and I just carry it over to the next day. Typically I prioritize and get done the most critical tasks first.
- Bible art journal. I love to use this to write what’s on my heart that day and sometimes I doodle in it. But the idea of this journal is to dig deeper into my Bible reading and have prayer/quiet time with The Lord.
- Business Planner. This was a unique journal that I bought several years ago from a local store. It’s not like the Happy Planner. I used it for jotting down events and exhibits with tasks we needed to complete for upcoming art shows. I don’t have this anymore but if you conduct a lot of meetings or if you’re a project manager, having a planner like this would really be helpful.
- Crafty journal. This is the journal I use for my crafts. I write down ideas I want to try to make future greeting cards or art printables, my shopping list or orders that are coming and other project ideas.
- Art Journal. I have a small art journal that I bought from a thrift store. I use it to practice watercoloring, Copic marker coloring and doodling. It is so cute and I love playing with it.
These are other types of journals and how you can use them:
- Art journal. This is perfect for painting, drawing, sketching ideas, or just hand illustrating. Also, if you’re a scrapbooker or a stamper, this type of journal is perfect for that too. This is all about being creative. Sometimes, artists create their paintings from an art journal entry. Also, if you like bible art journaling, this is perfect for that too. There are Bible art journals that have the scriptures and empty space next to them for drawing.
- Photo journal. Much like photo albums, you can create collages of your family and friends and special occasions with captions. Also, terrific to pass down to future generations.
- Travel journal. A bit like a photo journal, but this one is a bit different because you can construct it like a storyboard especially if you’ve traveled a lot. You can build it for every place you’ve visited from day 1 to the last day.
- Writing journal. Used only for writing. It could be short stories, poems, or blog topic ideas. Maybe it can be a personal diary that you write about how your day went. It can be casual writing or very personal.
- Meal planning journal. Perfect for busy folks with little time. We’re all busy, but I bet most of us want to eat healthy regardless and that does take planning. A journal like this would help you plan each day’s meals as well as a place to have a shopping list so you can be sure to have all the ingredients needed ahead of time.
- Recipe journal. Do you like to cook? Writing down all your recipes is another excellent way to use a journal. If you have a bunch of recipes, it might help to type them up in either Microsoft Word or some other program and then print them on index cards. Then, you can glue the index cards inside the journal. And, you can of course buy index cards in many different colors.
Personalize your journal with things like cute stickers, stamped images, markers or paper crafts. You don’t have to be an artist or very creative in fact. You can design it anyway you want.
Journaling can be fun, expressive but mainly for you to document your life’s experiences. You can choose to share memories with your family and pass them down or they can be very personal that are just for you.
Sometimes people journal as a means of healing from traumatic experiences or if they’re going through a serious illness. It’s a therapeutic way of dealing with
Whatever reason you decide to journal, make it work for you and your lifestyle. There’s so many examples on YouTube and many choices you can purchase but try to get one that fits your style. This way, you’ll enjoy the process much more.