I know of at least two of my great friends that would love to make this recipe. Mushrooms had to grow on me and I still don’t eat many of them much, except to use the can of mushroom soup in my gravy, but the portabella is another thing altogether.
This little nugget I can eat on its own. It stands up to the grill, great on burgers and versatile enough for veggie lovers.
I also just like the way they look in this recipe, they make a good presentation on the plate. Stuffing these with whatever mixture you like adds a flair and elegance that’ll go so well as an appetizer at a dinner party.
I confess that I could take the whole plate away and sit it next to my desk so I can munch while typing. This recipe is very easy to make too. I found it while doing my normal research and I adapted it to my own taste. You can certainly do the same.
Stuffed Portabella MushroomsCourse: Ordinary Recipes Made Gourmet
Recipe adapted from Blue Hen
8 oz. baby bella mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 scallion minced very finely
Approx. 3 tbsp. minced fresh herbs (I like parsley, basil and oregano)
2 tbsp. Italian bread crumbs
1 – 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tbsp. butter, cold
1 tbsp. crumbed goat cheese
- Lightly oil a small baking sheet with olive oil. Carefully wash your mushrooms and remove the stems, I just use a damp towel to wash the mushrooms, do not douse them under running water.
- Use a pastry brush to oil the mushroom caps and place them gill-side up on the oiled baking sheet.
- Mince mushroom stems and place them in a small bowl. Add minced garlic, scallion, and herbs. Stir.
- Add bread crumbs and about a teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon filling into mushroom caps, pressing gently so the stuffing stays in.
- Cut cold butter into small pieces and place a small piece on top of each stuffed mushroom cap.
- Broil for about 3-4 minutes, then remove and place crumbled goat cheese on top of each one.
- Put back under the broiler for another 3-4 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned and mushrooms are fragrant. Serve immediately.