Making my own soups especially in the wintertime is a favorite past time for me. I enjoy the aromas first off but also I get to put in exactly what I want and I can make as much as I want.
The other thing is I can control the amount of salt I use. I think the only thing to be aware of it over seasoning it because since there’s so many ingredients that you put in, if the soup has too much salt, it affects everything and ruins the whole soup. One trick I use to prevent this is I check my seasoning to taste after every layer.
The beans in this soup really fills you up so it’s a great winter meal I think.
White Bean Soup with Carrots and HamCourse: Ordinary Recipes Made Gourmet
1 lb. Great Northern white beans
1 lb. smoked ham, diced
1 c. celery, sliced
1 c. sweet onion, chopped
1 c. carrots, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 can Hunt’s diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano, undrained
1 can (Progresso hearty tomato) soup
Kosher salt and lemon pepper to taste
Fresh basil for topping
- Soak beans overnight in 4 cups water.
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Add water to cover and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high setting 3 hours, turn to low setting and cook for 8 to 14 hours. Can be cooked entire time on high setting for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove bay leaves when done. Top with basil and serve hot.
- Serve it up with some crusty bread!