When I know I have a busy work day or week coming with meetings, deadlines or new projects, it’s so important for me to prepare beforehand both with organization and mentally. Today, I’ll share some of the things I do so that I don’t get overly stressed or become overwhelmed.
So for me, organizing the night before is key:
- Write out my to-do list putting only the urgent project deadlines in it
- Keep each project in a separate folder so I can easily reach for it when it’s time to work on it and;
- Prioritize each project so that I work on the more important deadlines first and then the others.
These are other things I like to do to prepare mentally:
- Watch a movie. I will either watch an old classic movie from the 30s or 40s or I’ll look at crafty video tutorials on YouTube.
- Read Daily verses. I have a few Bible apps in my phone that I like to read each day which encourages me. I also like to read Psalms, it’s big on uplifting my spirits.
- Pray. Prayer is so, so important. I talk to God about the upcoming day/week and ask for everything to go well, that I meet the deadlines and I usually ask for His strength throughout.
- Eat well. I like to eat a good meal, nothing too overpowering but enough to be full.
- Get a good night’s rest. That means going to bed a little earlier. This way I have the energy in case overtime hours are needed.
- Schedule something fun to do in the end. This helps me to have something to look forward to when my work day is over.
- Listen to praise music. I love singing to church worship songs. I have a YouTube playlist that I listen to which always lifts my spirits because my mind is on praising and worshiping Jesus.
Busy days happen and preparing for them isn’t difficult when you do a little organizing and taking time to mentally reset.