I love carrots and ginger but I haven’t made a soup where these two ingredients are the star of the show. Time to change that! So, next up on our Fall soup recipes: Carrot Ginger soup!
This is a comfort food soup for lazy, bad weather, and cold temps days. Easy and quick recipe to make 🙂
Carrot Ginger SoupCourse: Ordinary Recipes Made Gourmet
Recipe by Simply Recipes
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 pounds carrots (6-7 large carrots), peeled and sliced thin
2 cups chopped white or yellow onion
1 tsp. minced ginger
2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
2 cups water
3 large strips of zest from an orange
Chopped chives, parsley, dill or fennel for garnish
- Sauté onions and carrots: Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat and cook the onions and carrot, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Do not let the onions or carrots brown. Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over the carrots and onions as they cook.
- Add stock and water, ginger, and strips of orange zest. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots soften, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the strips of orange zest and discard.
- Purée soup:
- Working in small batches, pour the soup into a blender and purée until completely smooth. Only fill the blender bowl a third full with the hot liquid and keep one hand pressing down on the cap of the blender to keep it from popping off.
- Add more salt to taste. (You will need more salt if you are using homemade unsalted stock or unsalted butter.)
- Garnish with chopped chives, parsley, fennel fronds, or a spoonful of whipped cream.