Multi-tasking is an everyday thing for me, what about you? For example, cooking dinner while washing sheets, writing up a shopping list and answering texts. Many times, I’ve needed more than two arms! And, if you have small children, it’s even more tricky when so many things are screaming for your attention.
I like to focus on one thing at a time so as to not lose my concentration but that’s always the case. So, in this post, I’m sharing 5 tips to help you remain on schedule but without losing your mind in the process!
- Not every task can be worked on alongside other duties. If you know upfront that you have to spend some quality time to do one particular job, then don’t add that to any multi-tasking. Wait until you have a pocket of quiet time to work on it.
- You don’t have to answer all calls while multi-tasking. The wonders of caller ID are excellent, what did we do before we had it? Unless I’m waiting on a call, I let it to go to voicemail and that goes for texts too. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve burned a meal picking up the phone and forgot all about the stove.
- Try not to panic. I tell myself this when I’ve got several things pulling at me all at once. I take deep breaths and try relax my muscles. It really helps me. Prayer doesn’t hurt either!
- Keep a list handy. I live by my daily planner. My to-list helps me stay on track. Understandably, interruptions happen that can throw off the day…but again remember tip #3, don’t panic.
- Go easy on yourself. If you’re like me, you want to be productive at the end of the day. I hate wasting time. That said, some things on the list just don’t get done in a day and have to roll to the next day. I’m okay now with that. In past, I’d get so mad at myself that I didn’t complete all my tasks that day.
Another tip worth mentioning is don’t forget to eat. This might sound strange, but we can get so busy that we’re working on pure adrenaline and not making time to eat. Even if you don’t have time to sit down and eat a meal, preparing a light snack of fruit with a drink (like a smoothie) will do wonders!
How do you handle multi-tasking? Got any tips to share, please comment and tell me!